Thread: Just FYI, ä
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Here is an example of a massive EPUB I created this EPUB in Sigil 0.5.3 with unicode filenames:

http://www.mediafire.com/?9v891dfcbw9i87z

(Yes, yes, I know the EPUB is a huge mess and is not exactly fully EPUB compliant, these were a huge WIP that I put on hold to continue other work).

Sigil 0.5.3 allowed me to save/open/rename files with unicode characters perfectly fine (and if I recall correctly, FlightCrew said nothing about potential filename errors). I imported them into Sigil 0.5.3 using the typical Add Existing File dialog.

My Nook is able to read these EPUBs fine, even the articles with unicode in the filenames.

These HTML files were all auto generated from a website using the "ArticleNumber_Author_ArticleTitle.html" format. Here is an example of one file name:

Code:
3251_Juan.Ramón.Rallo.Julián_Economic.Crisis.and.Paradigm.Shift.html
When running the EPUB through EPUBCheck 3.0, you get this output:

Code:
File name contains non-ascii characters: óá. Consider changing filename
Now, when opened in Sigil 0.7.0 (and I believe 0.6.0+), the unicode files do not appear in the Book Browser, and if the FlightCrew check is done, it gives this error:

Code:
The <item> element's "href" attribute points to file "Text/x3251_Juan.Ram%C3%B3n.Rallo.Juli%C3%A1n_Economic.Crisis.and.Paradigm.Shift.html" which does not exist.
Perhaps there should be some way to gracefully handle Unicode filenames instead of making them disappear completely?

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 03-02-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote