Thread: GPL violation?
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2008, 01:23 PM   #153
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Yes, you're free to modify and run whatever GPL code you want as long as you don't distribute it.
I agree, that's how I read it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Once you do, you're required to provide end users with the exact source code you used or with instructions on how to reproduce your binaries.
I don't see anything about releasing instructions on how to reproduce the binaries in there. Can you point to where in the GPL it says that. Also, what version are you looking at. Most of Linux is under GPLv2 I believe.

That all said...

How do you know that Bookeen modified and distributed that modified GPLed software?

Writting an app that runs on Linux and releasing it in no way requires that source code to be licensed under GPL also.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote