View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymc View Post
I had to go with "other" here.

Yes, the publishers should be able to have creative control of text formatting (including fonts & page breaks, etc) for poetry, chapter titles, inline quotes, etc.

But special formatting should be the exception - not the rule. And our ereaders should be capable & required to apply sane & attractive defaults to the rest.

And the end-user should have the ability to over-ride anything.

But keep in mind that we've *never* had this capability before - the publishers always had complete control - and pbooks sold and were read just fine.

Troy
I have to agree, exactly. With some exceptions, allow the end user to choose. For exzample, I love the formatting in Zelda's edition of Three Men in a Boat. It is truly a work of art, showing the great extent of control a publisher/editor can have on the appearance of an ebook.
However, for the vast majority of books, this is not the case and too much formatting will make books look like poorly converted PDF's.
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote