View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #73
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's really not a matter of whether or not one "considers" it to be illegal. It is not illegal. That's not a matter of opinion, but a matter of fact.

My dictionary defines "fraud" as:

This was deceit (lying about her age) perpetrated for profit (gaining work she would not otherwise have been considered for), so it certainly seems to me to fit the definition of "fraud".
I've missed so much of the action in this thread that I'm not going to add very much here, but a few things:

1. Generally, age discrimination can be illegal where that discrimination is not for a bone fide reasons. Depending on the State, your mileage may vary on this. Discriminating against an actress because of her age likely isn't prohibited discrimination, but I've never seen a human rights or employment case where this was discussed (keep in mind I'm not an American lawyer, so I generally only watch for the big decisions).

2. Lying about her age would not meet any legal definition of "fraud" in this instance. At most, someone could argue that she came to court with "unclean hands" as courts in common law jurisdictions can apply that rule of equity when appropriate. I doubt this argument would succeed in any event.

And with that, I'm off!

/drops smoke bomb
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote