Thread: Typos in ebooks
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #35
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by raac View Post
File-sharing isn't really the way to go because it give ammunition to the DRM idiots. I think a better solution is to demand a refund every time you get a book with typos. You could, of course, read it and list all the typos before demanding your refund. If everyone did this, the publishers would have to sit up and listen. If it isn't the same quality as the paper version then they shouldn't be charging money for it.
A refund? Come-on. If it is over the top, maybe. I think a letter to the publisher is a good response in most cases. Also, care should be taken to make sure that the error is indeed ebook specific.

Quote:
Even for recent books they appear to be converting PDF to ebook. This, beyond anything, indicates to me that many publishers are clueless about the digital age.
Most ebooks are made using a script to convert the InDesign file (which amounts to the same thing as converting the PDF). If a soft return is added to fix H&J, it can make it into the ebook and cause weird line breaks. It's not that publishers are clueless about the digital age, it's that typesetters are lazy, and in many cases, ignorant and incompetent. I have met many "Graphic Designers" who think if it looks good on the final page, it is OK, not realizing that the text may need to get reflowed some day.

Hiring someone to proof the ebook once would be a good start.
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote