View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #27
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by taustin View Post
And now they're resorting to outright illegal spamming (and you have to work at it to spam illegally in the US).

Two years+ I've had an account with them, and nary an email except order confirmations and responses to direct queries, until very recently. They reset my communications preferences to "spam me," the way Amazon did in their early days. Annoying, slimey and unethical. OK, I changed the settings to "do not send me this crap." And they sent another one. I noticed that the only easily identifiable communications preferences page in the account say it doesn't affect newsletters. Another slimy, unethical, annoying practice, but there's a link to the page where you can unsubscribe. Which doesn't let you unsubscribe, but instead, you put in your email address, and it sends you a link to where you can (allegedly) unsubscribe. Except it doesn't work. Errors out with a 404.

I also noticed that the spam itself has no information in it about how to unsubscribe. That's two CANSPAM violations.

Of all the ways B&N could have chosen to try to be more like Amazon, spamming the shit out of loyal customers is just about the worst. I've been thinking it's time to replace my nook color anyway, but I won't be buying another B&N product after this crap.
Well I still have my Nook Color and ST, but I've also recently purchased and received a Kindle pw(having the sideload/not show problem similar to what I had at times with Kobo, but other than that the fw is LIGHT YEARS ahead of kobo and I'll admit that the light is nice at night in the bedroom), anyways as to emails.

Seriously?! I'm in the same group, and the only problematic spammer that I've encountered recently is cafepress with their 5 or 6 spams PER EVERY F-----G day! Meanwhile I get MAYBE ONE email from B&N/d just like other sane etailers, although I've noticed a slight uptick from Amazon from a few/w to just about one/d now and, unfortunately mostly useless(the B&N ones are almost entirely useless BTW). Meanwhile the king spammer cafepress actually had some potentially nice discounts IF I were actually planning on buying anything in the 12-36h window most of them are, but...

i.e. I'd be careful about bandying about spamming when there are other etailers(cafepress I'm looking squarely at you) that are FAR FAR FAR worse...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote