View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 11:38 PM   #26
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Most (all?) current ereaders using Abobe software can technically support the B&N DRM, but manufacturers have disabled this.
If B&N would go down than I expect that Kobo (and probably Sony) would immediately update their ereaders to enable the B&N DRM support to make their devices attractive for Nook customers.

And do not forget that one advantage of B&N's social DRM is the fact that you do not need an DRM server after downloading a book once. So even if B&N would no longer exist, you will still be able read the books on all devices and programs supporting the DRM.
It is more that they do not implement the passhash authentication workflow, rather than disabling something that would happen by default. But it is in the realm of trivial to do so. It baffles me why some vendors do not bother to do so: effectively they are encouraging people with a B&N library to choose a different device or app. My 3 year old Pocket eDGe Jr supports it, I think Pocketbook too. Are you sure about Kobo?

I agree that BN DRM is more user friendly. No Adobe ID or app authorization is required. Don't know why no other vendors choose it.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote