Thread: Silliness Quiz
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 04:11 AM   #9596
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
If you roll it up you have three sides. Two ends and a center (picture a rolled up rug), but I look forward to seeing your answer pdurrant.
Ah! I see. OK, that's a pretty good answer. The edge between the 'sides' isn't really like the edge of a piece of paper, but it could be argued that my solution is flawed too, so I think I shall declare a winner.

My solution is the trihexaflexagon.

No, it's not as bad as it sounds, really. Here's how you make it. Take a strip of paper that's at least 6.5 times longer than it is wide.

Now fold it up in equilateral triangles. You want to end up with ten triangles.

Now fold the strip into a hexagon. One triangle sticks out (the tenth), along with any bits of extra paper.

You can fold and stick the extra bits of paper past the first and last triangles onto the first and last triangles, or just cut them off. Then stick the first and last triangles together.

Now you have your trihexaflexagon. Fold both ways across all three corner-to-corner lines. Now fold from the centre into valley/mountain/valley/mountain/valley/mountain.

There are two ways to do this. One way is dull. The other way: as you push in the valleys to make to mountain folds as sharp as possible, the centre opens up, and you get back to your hexagon. And you can keep doing this. fold open, open from centre, fold up, open from centre.

And where do the three sides come in. Well, if we colour the two sides of the hexagon of paper, say red and blue, and then do the folding/opening from the centre, we find another side that we haven't coloured yet. It will go red/white/blue/red/white/blue!

But you really need a video to see it working. Or make one yourself!

Here's a video (not me!):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	strip.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	93970   Click image for larger version

Name:	folded.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	93971   Click image for larger version

Name:	hexagon 1.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	93972   Click image for larger version

Name:	complete.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	93973   Click image for larger version

Name:	valleymountain.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	93974   Click image for larger version

Name:	opening.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	93975  

Last edited by pdurrant; 10-12-2012 at 04:15 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote