View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #148
TCCPhreak
TCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of lightTCCPhreak is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4GNT
Hello,

sorry for necroposting this thread but I believe that this thread is more suitable for the problem than the generic unbricking one.

I think my Kindle (4NT) is broken very thoroughly. When it was still a little better, I could access diags mode before it froze and even then I could boot fastboot with the mfgtool and try some stuff there, too.

This method seems to have gone, too. MfgTool still can "see" the kindle after magic-booting, yet none of the three options work in any way. Fastboot cannot find the device and it also disappears from windows device manager after starting the profile.

So it seems like I'm in the "even if everything else fails, we can still flash with mfgtool"-mode. I tried to learn how to work in it but unfortunately, I don't know how to work in it.

I downloaded this "Document.zip" with instructions on how to use the mfgtool, even help for writing simple UCL.XMLs but I just fail at writing them so they do anything. I don't know which CMDs the Kindle will accept and testing some of the stuff from the docs resulted in error messages or even mfgtool crashing.
I was hoping I'd be done with a simple
cmd type=load file=mmc0.bin address=0x0
but things seem far more complicated. "Push"ing write-commands to the Kindle also gave no success and I'm doubting that trying every other example from the docs will yield any additional results.

Has anyone ever flashed a larger file with mfgtool instead of booting to fastboot and flashing from there? Could he share the right cmd?
From what I gather, the "boot"-command downloads to RAM and starts from there - and the supplied images don't do more than pointing to a point in flash. Would something like this be possible with a complete fastboot-image (extracted from mmcblk)?
I've read that I could compile custom uboots from the amazon-source? Are those bootloaders that should be called via "boot" or do they have to be flashed to MMC, too?

Regards,

TCC
TCCPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote