View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #1
vector-crumb
vector-crumb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (5.12)
Help installing Debian

Hello everyone:

I'm new at this forum (though I've been using it for various months now). I have been looking at posts which show you how to install a chrooted Debian environment on your Kindle and I thought I'd try it out. I've been following instructions on this page though http://www.turnkeylinux.org/blog/kindle-root . I have already jailbreaked my Kindle 5 Wifi, installed Usbnet, GUI Launcher and jbpatch. Then I created a virtual machine on Oracle VM VirtualBox on my Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium and ran a 32-bit Debian OS on it [the virtual machine]. After much fiddling about with the IP of my Kindle on the Windows Network and Sharing Center, I finally managed to ssh into my Kindle from Debian as root. I followed the instructions of obtaining the rsa and dss keys via dropbear, placed them into the corresponding files, exited usbnetwork mode, and using Notepad++ on windows, edited the config file to enable WIFI SSH. The thing is that when I try to ssh into my kindle through the Debian Root Terminal, I receive the connection has timed out error. I attempt the following IP's :

Quote:
  • 192.168.15.244 //the typical kindle ip
  • 192.168.15.245 //the access ip I tried to establish on Windows
  • 192.168.1.245 //one of the ip's under the "5-DCHP" on the ;711 page
  • 192.168.1.160 //the ip that my kindle typically reports
  • 192.168.2.1 //ip listed on the site
  • 192.168.2.2 //ip listed on the site
If any anybody has any idea why it's so difficult for me to ssh into my kindle I would really appreciate some help.

P.S. Before anybody asks, I've got some basic knowledge on Linux, but I'm not to sure of more complex stuff, such as "setting up a chrooted environment on a Kindle"
vector-crumb is offline   Reply With Quote