Thread: Moral Stance
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #1
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Moral Stance

I know a lot of people frown upon piracy and for good reason. I however have a question.

In the past I have had a favourite author release a number of books in E-book format. In each instance, I have bought the book and enjoyed it. The, for some reason the latest book released was only available as a physical book (same publisher so that wasn't the reason!).

Since I will no longer buy physical books (I no longer have the room in the house for them and I don't want to buy and get rid!), I borrowed the book from the library. From their, I scanned and OCR'd so I could read it in digital format (this is my current preferred method).

So, while I agree that this was probably illegal, where do I stand morally? I have rented the book from the library so the Author will get any royalties they may get paid (in the event that they do get paid!). I returned the book sooner than I would have done if I was reading it (and I would probably have extended the loan period) meaning somebody else could borrow it sooner than they otherwise would have been able to (meaning more royalty payments).

While I still have a copy of the book on my reader, it is unlikely that I will read it again (it was a good book, but not good enough for me to not read something new instead!)

Bear in mind, I only did this because the electronic version wasn't available. Also, I have never shared any of my E-books with anybody else (including legally bought and released of the DRM shackles).

So, morally, where do I stand?
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote