Thread: Touch .kepub.epub
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #214
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Was there an error message, and if so what? Does the same thing happen if you disable the extended driver and only use the main one? Do the first books get copied over?

What happens if you try to copy books to the device without starting calibre?

This isn't a worry. The drivers are looking at the database to check it hasn't changed more than it can handle. The changes in 2.5.0 are outside the area the driver uses. And the "fix" to the driver is simply increasing a number to match that in the database. But, in this case there is extra code to handle cover images and the SD card.
I've just run some further checks and this is what I found :

1) Without Calibre loaded I can copy to and from the device with no problem.

2) With Calibre loaded but both the Kobo Touch and the Extended drivers disabled I can see and copy to the Glo using it as a connected folder.

3) With just the Kobo Touch Driver loaded (not the extended one) Calibre will detect the Glo (it refers to it as a Touch) and goes through three steps sucessfully :

Get Device Information
Get List of Books on device
Send Metadata to Device.

Once this happens I can no longer use file manager to inspect the E or F drives.

If I then try to delete a book from the Glo using Calibre it fails with the following error :

Code:
calibre, version 0.9.27
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

unable to open database file

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 85, in run
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 575, in _delete_books
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 450, in delete_books
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1779, in delete_via_sql
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 362, in delete_via_sql
OperationalError: unable to open database file
The book is not deleted,

Trying to copy a book TO the Glo fails with the following error :

Code:
calibre, version 0.9.27
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

(2, 'GetDiskFreeSpace', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 85, in run
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 551, in _upload_books
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1740, in upload_books
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\driver.py", line 256, in upload_books
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 986, in _sanity_check
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 177, in free_space
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 134, in _windows_space
error: (2, 'GetDiskFreeSpace', 'The system cannot find the file specified.')
The book is not copied.

If I go into XP Device manager and look at the device it shows it as a functioning drive but of Type Unknown and Status Unreadable.

The problem is not (only) with the extended driver and only occurs once the standard Calibre driver has established contact with the Glo. If I close Calibre the problem does not disappear until I eject and re-connect the Glo.

It looks like this needs a new thread as this is not directly related to the .kepub.epub issue though unless there is some way of using jgoguen's driver to write a kepub.epub to a local drive it means I can't work round it by simply transferring files by O.S. copying.

BobC

Last edited by BobC; 04-18-2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Clarified that books are not deleted or copied
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote