View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 03:23 AM   #27
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9littlebees View Post
No worries on responding to your PM, greens. Whether it is "fine" enough to read in the standard vertical / portrait position really depends on the manga / comic you're reading. If the text is large enough, no problem.

Otherwise (as I recommended in the PM), you should consider a 7-10 inch Android tablet, as decent Chinese ones can be had for not a lot of money and there are some excellent CBR / CBZ format reader apps that are available either for free or for reasonably cheap (eg. Moon+ Reader).
Yes and no. It depends on how you want to use it. If you don't want to zoom in a lot then many 7 inch tablets won't be much better, especially with manga where having the ability for colour isn't of much use. The reason I say this is that though you will notice the difference in size between a 6 inch screen and a 7 inch screen. The ratio is better on a a e-ink reader (when compared to most android tablets) and the resolution can even be better on the glo. Many android tablets, especially cheap ones have a 1024x600 resolution meaning that if you fit the entire page on the screen the Glo will provide more detail thanks to the ratio+resolution combo. The ipad Mini for example will have a bigger screen but almos the same resolution (1024x768 for the mini vs. 1024 vs.758 for the glo) but then again I personally don't like Apple products and the glo is much cheaper (it's a personal preference based on Apple's operating systems, I'm not bashing them and I do have to say I LOVE the keyboard on the macbook pro...).

If you want a tablet for reading comics/image oriented books then the best options start with 7inch tablets with a 1280x800 screen, followed by the 10 inch tablets ranging between 1280x800 to 1980x1200, and of course the new (and new new) iPad with their "retina" display. But as 9littlebees points out it also depends on budget. These are all more expensive than the Glo if you're going brand name (the cheapest options being the Nexus 7 I think which comes in at 200 dollars in the US and more if you're looking to import it). The cheap Chinese tablets can be comparable in price for 7 inchers and 30 or 40 dollars more for larger ones but you have to see if there are any local sellers because importing them can get costly depending on import fees in your country (here in Mexico Chinese products can incur import fees ranging from 2.5% to 500% depending on the characteristics of the product). They also tend to not have as strict quality control as other brands. I've seen comments of bubbles under the screen and such so it all depends on what you're willing to live with (if you send it back for small defects you incur the shipping fees, restocking fees, etc. making it possibly cost the same as a brand name tablet).

@Greens, sorry for not addressing your actual questions. I haven't got the Glo yet (my dad did me the favor of getting one for me but now I have to wait for it to get from Quebec to NY to Mexico, or worst case scenario Quebec to Mexico). But based on my experience on a 7 inch tablet with a 1024x600 resolution, the Glo should be fine for reading portrait oriented pages on most manga. American comics...not so much, even if they are black and whitesince as you pointed out, they use bigger pages meaning potentially more detail and (proportionally) smaller text. At least on tablets it's really easy to zoom in and out.
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote