Thread: Name that book?
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #575
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Help identifying strange, old Sci-fi story

I read it in an anthology in school (this was in the UK during the late 70's / early 80's). The anthology included a story about the last living human being being preserved in an alien zoo (which I found quite shocking at the time.) I think it was by John Wyndham or Arthur C. Clarke. I have seen it since. Anyway...

The story I am looking for went like this (in fact it didn't have much of a plot): A man at night sees a long procession of people representing the people's of all eras moving past him in a long procession. Towards the end the people become more and more oppressed by technology until there are three or four broken-down people slaving to carry an immense pyramidal shape (a machine they worship, I suppose). Then, at the very end, they are replaced by strange dancing humans with limbs that bend in odd ways. And that was it!

Not much of a plot, I know, but it has always stayed with me and I would very much like to read it again. I wonder if it might be someone like H.G.Wells or Olaf Stapledon, it has that kind of old, visionary quality, but I could be wrong, it could be way more modern than that.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote