Thread: Just curious...
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #18
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
I really think a smartphone is a far more useful, flexible and handy mobile device. A tablet would not allow me OTOH to do useful real work as a laptop or desktop.

That said, I can see quite a few areas where it would beat an smartphone to me if I had one: to draw and paint (though still not as great as, say, Wacom's older pressure and tilt sensitive "tablets"), to read ebooks, browse the web and watch videos comfortably and as a digital photo frame and alarm clock while idle. I'm not even sure that typing in a larger but not precise keyboard would be any faster than swyping over a tiny smartphone keyboard...
I used to be of the same belief and, the way most people use tablets, I still am. I hate the on-screen keyboard. It's even harder to use than my smartphone on-screen keyboard, to me.

But if you add a proper keyboard to the equation, they can be tremendously productive. It depends on what you do, and if you need specialized software, then a tablet of any configeration probably still isn't for you.

But for what I do, a physical keyboard really makes all the difference. There are word processor apps (some of them are even free), and obviously sharing abilities are ubiquitous and seamless.

You can get keyboard cases to suit most tablets, but most of them are Bluetooth, which I'm sort of "eh" about. The Transformer has a keyboard dock, and the Slider, which I have, has a keyboard built in. I use it pretty much like I'd use a netbook.

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 04-25-2012 at 08:58 PM.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote