View Single Post
Old 12-28-2009, 02:04 AM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Hi exo,

Yep, it's a 6 inch diagonal on the current midrange devices. There are some bigger ones available, and the future may yield some better designs with better screen-device size ratios, but 6" is what we have for now in general.

As another user said, although most paper books do have larger page dimensions, the effective size of the text block is usually quite a bit smaller. A normal mass market paperbook text block's diagonal measure is just a little over 6 inches. Since the device's bezel can act as a margin, I generally set my ebooks with only a 1mm margin, allowing me to use the screen pretty completely.

It's not perfect, and I do strongly hope for more 7-8" screens with more book-like aspect ratios, but 6 inches is plenty for reading paperbacks. For me, these devices are nothing but novel readers since the technology in them is so poor. In the future when ebook devices aspire to take on reading functions less limited than novels, 6 inches will not really be sufficient, nor will the current display quality or device speed.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote