View Single Post
Old 11-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #38
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I hope I don't get Godwinned for this, but I was struck by how eerily prescient Wells was. Moreau was uncomfortably close to another famous vegetarian. And M'ling surely was short for Mischling, famous in another context.

I read that Wells intended Moreau as an indictment of colonialism. That's ok up to a point, but then I have to wonder what Wells meant in terms of "civilization" being a veneer which was lost without active maintenance. He was, properly, rejecting the notion of the white man's burden, but perhaps not sufficiently enlightened in terms of subject peoples and what constitutes a civilized society. Way ahead of Kipling et al., however.

For me, this fell entirely in the horror camp. In addition to the issues of torture and vivisection, the notion of superior beings remaking others by force in their own image qualifies on its own. I thought Wells set the stage with the reference to the Medusa, the famous shipwreck where the underclass was set adrift, to indulge in murder, suicide and cannibalism before rescue.

I will echo those who felt this would be more powerful in the third person, when we didn't know that the narrator perforce had to have escaped.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 11-14-2011 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Reduce graphic size
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote