View Single Post
Old 04-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #125
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Given that bookmarks and annotations will migrate to a purchased copy of the same ebook, the lending library version must be identical to the Kindle store version (i.e. AZW or TOPAZ, not ePub). So my guess is that OverDrive will give you a ticket that the Kindle Store redeems. That is already the way that Adobe DRM redemption works after all.
Yes, that's my guess as well. Since libraries already have an established relationship with OverDrive, it seems like the "simplest" chain of events would be:

Library patron sets up OverDrive account and selects "Kindle" as their preferred format--> Patron checks out ebook --> Library requests ebook from OverDrive --> OverDrive passes the request on to Amazon, where the ebook file is stored --> Amazon (or perhaps OverDrive) slaps a "self destruct" on the ebook --> ebook appears on the library patron's Kindle account over on Amazon and is synced to their device the next time they turn on the wifi.

In this set up, OverDrive's main job is to keep track of what ebooks the libraries have licenses for and to pass along requests to Amazon.

I'm curious to see if it'll be possible to check out books directly from the Kindle. Maybe instead of setting up an OverDrive account, Kindle users will go to their "Manage My Kindle" page and enter their library card information? My library's webpage is a hot mess, so it would be nice to just pop onto Amazon and be given the option to "Read Sample", "Buy Now" or when available "Borrow from the Library".
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote