View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 04:37 PM   #67
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourcejedi View Post
Perhaps DRM can be made to work, once it's supported in hardware. I'm biased; I'm politically opposed to it. If you really want DRM that makes sure no-one can upload your work to a torrent, you need to control the reader software. You can't do it without imposing lock-in. You either have to have multiple incompatible systems, which is bad for consumers - or a monopoly (ditto).
I agree that hardware needs to support any security system. I disagree that such a thing would be that bad for consumers. I liken it to the government action to force copier companies to build in a circuit that would automatically detect someone trying to make copies of legal tender, and shut down the copier until the authorities could pay you a friendly visit. Most consumers didn't even know it was there (many have still never heard of it), and it didn't impact copying of anything else.

I think a hardware/software combination could be relatively unobtrusive and easy to use, enough that consumers would quickly get used to using it, and eventually wouldn't give it a second thought. It would require quite a bit of across-the-board standardization in electronics and document HW/SW, but I don't see standardization as a bad thing, either... I think too many proprietary systems are one of the things souring the digital experience at present.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote