View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #429
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnselmD View Post
to be able to find duplicate covers would be great.
@AnselmD - I use a defunct program called DupDetector from Prism Systems, its a bit clunky UI wise, but its the best free duplicate image finder I know of. There are a few programs out there with the same name - make sure you get the one from Prism.

Its been a couple of years since I last looked for similar programs, nothing came close, including some add-ons (plugins) to high end expensive commercial products.

I don't have it installed on my 'calibre' system so I cant test it on a library right now. But I've used it on friends systems to dedup tens of thousands of images scattered around their disk drives. It analyses the image properties not the file properties, edge analysis, shape detection, colour histograms that sort of thing. And it detects mirrors, flips, monochrome etc.

The only thing I'm unsure of is whether it could handle 1,000s of images all with the same name, theoretically it shouldn't care but... So don't use it or anything like it without doing a backup first - because they all have options to delete the duplicates etc.

As theducks said these things ain't super fast, but the last system I deduped was a fairly modest Toshiba laptop. It probably took me a day, it it had tens of thousands of high res images (8-12MP+) on it. I can't recall how much disk space I recovered, but along with the crud and bloat I removed it should mean the owner will get another couple years use from it.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-07-2013 at 08:16 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote