View Single Post
Old 09-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Reference the first part: do you think it was gratuitous in nature?
I don't think I read far enough beyond it to make that judgement fairly .... I just couldn't stomach the descriptions

Spoiler:
of the constant thwarting of a child's attempt to escape from seemingly endless horrible situations

so I won't label it gratuitous .... just something I couldn't personally handle. It may have been necessary to contrast with the magic the child found at the farm down the lane. Other readers may not find it so ....

N.B. I am a life-long fan of Neil Gaiman, and up till now, have read all of his works (yes, even Sandman), and understand that a recurrent theme in many of his YA books is a child in a frightening or threatening situation, and how they deal with it (Coraline, Graveyard Book, etc.), but this is the first Gaiman title I was unable to finish. To be honest, it depressed the hell out of me.

Last edited by poohbear_nc; 09-02-2013 at 07:02 PM.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote