View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #679
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura One,HD,H2O,Touch,Mini,Kindle 3+DXG,Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracodoc View Post
I thought how the emulator or kpv works should be irrelevant with screen resolution, i.e. the changes made for kpv with emulator running in 600x800 should also work for DX. So this is not the case? Even if the emulator have to run for some device target, why can't we just emulate the DX for keys, but with a different resolution?
For example, create a virtual device named DX_small, which is identical to DX except the resolution is 600x800. I think this could work since the resolution number should not be hard coded everywhere.

Panning with virtual space seemed a unneeded effort to me.
No, it is not irrelevant, because ideally (and that is how it is done now) the emulator should reproduce every tiny detail of the program's output, namely the position of every glyph on the screen for every font face used. If you change the resolution then either these would change OR you have to scale the fonts down and not only fonts but also all the direct geometrical measures like lengths, widths, etc.

So, panning virtual monitor is a needed effort and for a very good reason. There is no way to avoid it without losing the exactness of the reproduction of the program's behaviour on the target devices (kindle 3 or DXG).
tigran is offline   Reply With Quote