Thread: Glo Kobo Firmware 2.3.1
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2012, 08:49 AM   #212
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
I think it is strange that Kobo decided on a default of 2 or 3. Using widows and orphans on an ereader is useless, as murg mildly suggested a few posts back. Actually, not just useless but confusing and annoying.
I'm not sure I agree with this. When I read on the computer (web page, document or using the calibre view), I move the text a lot more than is really needed. I don't just scroll when I get to the end, I tend to move the scroll bar to keep full paragraphs on the screen. In effect, I am manually managing the orphans and widows to force the paragraph to stay together. This makes it easier to read and take in the paragraph. As a lot of electronic text is formatted with space between each paragraph, this is an easy way to read. It means I can easily take in each paragraph. [To the other David: I really wanted to say "grok each paragraph". ]

Having said that, I do change the styles of my epubs to make the page look like a paperback page. That is what I am used to when reading novels and the gap between the paragraphs wastes to much space. I set the widows and orphans to zero, but I'm not sure if that is the right thing for me.
Quote:
More importantly, I don't think this is the only 'problem' that's going on. After I read this information a while back in a different thread I re-coverted all my epubs to include widow and orphan values of 0. This helped a lot (but did not completely get rid of slightly premature page breaks).
I see that as well. It is usually about a lines worth of space. When I look at the page it happens on, there is usually some formatting difference in the text. Chapter headings and things like a text in a superscript somewhere on the screen mean that a line takes a little more height than the other lines. The space left looks to be about a lines worth but I think any letters with tails would lose part of them.
Quote:
BUT. There is a bug of some kind that has been previously mentioned only a few times, where paragraphs that are longer than a page (or very long, I don't know the cutoff) always start on a new page. This meant that the book I was reading at the time (a Stephen King I think, with veeeerrry long paragraphs) frequently stopped only a couple of lines into a page, making me wonder if the chapter had already finished. But no, the next paragraph was just put onto the next page.

Now, I cannot remember what firmware this was (not more than 2 version back, maybe just one), but it was definitely not a widow/orphan thing.
I knew I forgot to mention something. There is a thread here discussing this problem. And you are right, it happens when the paragraph is longer than what will fit on a screen. As far as I know, it is new with 2.3.1
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote