View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
robtillotson
robtillotson will become famous soon enoughrobtillotson will become famous soon enoughrobtillotson will become famous soon enoughrobtillotson will become famous soon enoughrobtillotson will become famous soon enoughrobtillotson will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook, Kindle 1
I picked one of these up today -- I had originally thought I would get an EEE Transformer, but the combination of its unavailability and some more thought about whether I actually wanted to buy the keyboard dock (which is required to have any USB ports at all) led me to grab the Iconia instead.

It's my first tablet so I don't have extensive experience with anything else to compare, but so far I like it a lot. It feels solid and fast, the screen is nice (the EEE's is apparently better, but I don't feel like anything is wrong with the Iconia's... and it beats the heck out of the repurposed netbook screen in the Viewsonic g-tablet that I almost bought last week).

It's running a pretty stock Honeycomb with some added "shelf" icons in the launcher, a couple of game demos, and some redundant media player apps. I'm not planning to use it to read prose (I prefer e-ink for that), but I expect it to be excellent for comic books and PDFs...

The only problems I've noticed so far are (1) the USB interface seems to use some other protocol than mass storage, such that it only works with Windows and not Mac. A SMB-capable file manager is a reasonable solution to that, I suppose. (2) I haven't managed to get the GPS to get a proper lock yet, and (3) Acer's DLNA client doesn't like my media server for some reason.

Also, I don't think it's been rooted yet, if that's a consideration.

--Rob
robtillotson is offline   Reply With Quote