View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 07:56 AM   #15
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by djulian View Post
You'll benefit from two extensions if you use Chrome:

Ghostery: http://www.ghostery.com/
AdBlock: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...namgkkbiglidom

The first blocks trackers that follow you from site to site and analyze your interests. The second flat out blocks ads, including those in Gmail. Google will still know what you're writing--their alogorithms run on their servers, where your e-mail sits--but you won't have to deal with the ads.
AdBlock doesn't actually work on Chrome. It *hides* the ads, but only after they've already been downloaded and processed (unlike the Firefox version, which doesn't download them in the first place). You're still having your data cap abused and your movements around the Web tracked. (the Chrome version of NoScript is also quite bad, as well)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
I find it odd that people want to use all of Google's products ...gmail, google maps, etc... but use add blockers....But, I assume that those adverts help to pay for the gmail etc.... or am I missing something?
True, but if they didn't 1) use ads to track and profile people, and 2) didn't make the ads annoying (animated, filled with scripts and occasional malware, etc.), fewer people will end up blocking (not that many do, however, certainly not enough to affect the adscums' bottom lines)
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote