View Single Post
Old 08-09-2009, 04:52 AM   #25
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post

No, even remove it if it's not legal. You bought a book. And you should be allowed to use it. If you can't use it because of some stupid DRM scheme, either the publisher should allow you to download that same book, in a different format, or you should be able to de-DRM it.
As I've pointed out several times, though the statement that to remove DRM is illegal in some countries has been repeated often no one has been able to cite a case where anyone has been prosecuted, or any case law.

Xenophon has posted about this subject several times, and to the best of my recollection has a legal background. If I remember his comments correctly even the lawyers hold wildly different opinions.

So the opinion that it is perfectly legal to remove DRM is just as valid as the opinion that it is illegal to do so.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote