View Single Post
Old 03-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #9
jbruce
Connoisseur
jbruce has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 700
@ thibaulthalpern

Yeah, I thought I was a budding typophile - then I read that book - realized I was more of acorn.

@ Andy

Thanks!

Georgia is a personal favorite of mine with regard to serif fonts. Has a romanticism to it.

If I would need to "typeset" and "bind" the books just to get the different font - the potential contrast gain may not be worth it...?

Will try one or two and post the results anyway - since I brought it up, and you guys have been helpful in educating me on how to do it. (Who knows maybe it will be part of firmware to change fonts - because there is a sans in the device - it's used for everything except body text.)

@ Zelda

Quote:
i've never heard anything like that before
Again, depends on the school of the typographer. This argument has been worked over for years - and the data still points to little-to-no difference; rather, a personal preference on the part of the reader.

Regarding long body copy, I don't have an overriding preference - I've seen horrible executions of both.

Gray determined mainly by stroke: agreed. However, it has been my experience that sans-serif fonts, have thinner strokes than serif fonts; therefore, would be lighter.

However, when reading long sans-serif text, on a white ground (some modern magazines), in bright light - I personally squint a lot - which causes strain; therefore, not a good idea on a white ground.

A pretty good article discussing the general arguments is available here.

Quote:
while i believe you can embed fonts in lrf files at the cost of page-turning speed, the method i linked to only works for epub files.
This was the key I was missing - thank you!

Thank you both again.

Cheers,
Josh

ps. More reading for the typophile in your life.

A decent book is Thinking with Type by Ellen Lupton. The "brightness" comment was actually directed at Baskerville for his crisp and high contrast letterforms ("blinding all the Readers in the Nation; for the strokes of your letters, being too thin and narrow, hurt the Eye").

Last edited by jbruce; 03-11-2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: shortened paragraph on stroke width
jbruce is offline   Reply With Quote