View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #16
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Thanks for this thread; I'm always interested in lists of greatest books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I question the idea of this list being a measure of my manliness anyway. Especially when I think about the likelihood that Issybird probably has read more of the books on the list then I have.

I'm sure she's read more than me, and if there were an Essential Woman's Library, I probably would've read more (possibly many more) on that list than this list. I counted and I've read 16 of these, a few others I've read partially (like I've read Dante's Inferno but not the other parts) and some others are on my TBR list.

But all in all the list was interesting and as I read it I started feeling that familiar twinge of yearning, becoming interested in many of the ones I haven't read and just wanting to immediately read them all. I tend to do that with any halfway decent lists.

ETA - My main criticism with this list would be that it's very U.S.-centric, which is fine except that it's not noted as such. It should be the Essential U.S. Man's Library or some such.

Last edited by sun surfer; 11-08-2012 at 09:48 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote