View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #4
Matriarch
Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matriarch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
I am not real familiar with the Kobo, but I've used my neighbors ever so briefly. In that brief period, I can tell you I much prefer the interface of my prs-t1.

I think that since you are using calibre, it will be hard to beat the sony for collection management. the sony will automatically add any books you have marked as a series in calibre into its collections area - and will sort the books properly for the series. I believe there is also an option in cailbre to have sony collections created based on genre and other tags you apply to your books in calibre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
The Touch's shelving is rudimentary, at best. It's awkward to use as you have to go into your library to manually add books to the shelves one at a time (rather than, as would be sensible, to create/open the shelf and then single-click your way through your library to add them. It does not recognize calibre categories to automatically shelf imported books, as would also be sensible).

The Touch doesn't have a very responsive screen, even under the best of circumstances. Mine's only a bit over a year old (bought new May '11) and it has trouble at times recognizing taps and swipes - and even when new it was a major pain to highlight more than single words. Coming from a Kindle, you *WILL* miss physical page turn buttons. Even on a touchscreen ereader, it is quite inexcusable for there to be no page turn buttons (and for the physical home button to be removed on the new Kobo Glo & Mini :/).

You'll most likely need the desktop software installed and used at least once, if you get a Touch, but not if you get a Glo or Mini. ADE's only needed if you want to grab books from a public library or if you download from a store (including Kobo's store, if you manually download the epub versions rather than their own kepubs).
Thank you both for taking the time to answer my questions - I really appreciate it. At this stage, it looks as though I'll be getting a Sony PRS-T2 rather than a Kobo Touch. I think that the extra cost of the Sony is worth it for calibre integration, which by far looks to be my favourite feature, according to the explanation here.

Can I trouble you both and ask another question? I've only seen the PRS-T2 online, as local stores are only stocking the PRS-T1 (and at PRS-T2 pricing!). As a result, I know that although the buttons are in an awkward position compared to the Kindle 4, I find the buttons very comfortable to push while turning pages. The PRS-T2 buttons look quite different, and they look a little too small to comfortably turn pages with - is that so, or do you find that they're actually easily used as page-turners after all?

Additionally, I've seen firmware complaints here and there for the PRS-T2. Does Sony have a good track record for straightening out fluffy firmware within a reasonable time-frame, or would I be better off purchasing a PRS-T1 with the already well-established firmware? I'm looking to add a few thousand books to a microSD card, so fluffy firmware might see a serious decline in the reader's functionality.
Matriarch is offline   Reply With Quote