View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #17
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
I've never seen a semi-colon yet that wouldn't be better replaced with a fullstop.
Eh, I used to believe that myself, but I've found that, after learning how semi-colons are supposed to work, it ends up being best used to express a thought that doesn't completely come to a stop at the end of the main sentence. For example: "Hanging above them were two moons; one red, one blue." This sentence has better flow than saying, "Hanging above them were two moons. One was red, one was blue." or even simply replacing the semi-colon or period with a comma as it elicits a different, and ultimately more fluid kind of "pause" than either of the other viable punctuation choices would.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lyle Jordan View Post
I prefer this much more than long, drawn-out narrative or exposition.
Well said.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote