Thread: Manga?!?
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #22
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trenien View Post
Hey, give me a minute. I've only got my librie a few weeks ago.

Apart from that, no offense Athlon but I disagree with you about the choice of mangas.
Basically, except for Gunnm which is seinen (manga made for young adults), all your other recomendations are shonen manga (manga made for boys/teenage boys). I'm not saying an adult can't enjoy them (especially GTO), but I'm fear an adult starting with these will feel mangas really are for children and not look back.

Yes, my suggestions include pretty harsh books (hint for those who don't know: Berserk), but on the other hand they have adult's themes and treatment. As a side note I have every volumes (in some cases original AND translated version) of the series you suggested - except 'Love Hina' which I find gets old really fast.

I would advise anybody in doubt about this to check out the first volume of the series mentionned - either on the net or at a bookstore - and get a feel about all these.
But you have to remember that the topicstarter is a "mangabeginner" and adult so we should be careful with the title suggestions. My titles are targetted more for the common public, while yours are already on the edge of specialized manga themes (and as far as I know, harder to purchase too). Wouldn't want to get them a tunnelvision right away

And once the interests has started, they will get their own style too (noticed how I know and read the manga you've suggested even though I don't recommend them to beginners. They'll get there on their own. )

Oh yeah, Tokyopop now has the first volume/chapter of a lot of manga online, so you can check their style out before you buy.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote