View Single Post
Old 03-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #25
kodomo
M92 info archivist
kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.kodomo is no ebook tyro.

Device: IRex Iliad 2nd ed., Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Lumi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxor View Post
I don't get the stuff about M92 being open either. How can you create a custom firmware or modify the existing one? Where is the firmware's source code? I can't find it in their git-repository: https://github.com/onyx-intl - only the sdk and a couple of tools in onyx-opensource.
OpenBoox did it for the Boox60 (alternative firmware).
The only things holding one back on the M92 afaik are
(1) a lack of proper understanding of the update procedure (but some folks seem to know - see the other thread in which I asked about the danger of bricking)
(2) the actual kernel source and patches (which I understand the GPL entitles us to get) - in order to be sure the kernel will work... by now (afaik), one can compile and adapt stock freescale SDK kernel modules to add them to the file system.
(3) the password security on the update ZIP file (which has been mentioned not to be very strong)

Cheers.

Update: though it seems to me, that OpenBoox did not touch the kernel or initrd either, but concentrated on everything in the root fs. (which probably is the safest bet, as I currently don't see the need for a different kernel either )

Last edited by kodomo; 03-13-2012 at 11:24 AM.
kodomo is offline   Reply With Quote