View Single Post
Old 07-27-2012, 07:47 AM   #20
MichaelSullivan
Enthusiast
MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
How would I find an angent? the few that I looked at all said "we do not except self pub"

I write fantasy set in the future (think Star Wars, but even more magic)
I've actually never seen an agent that has such a statement in their profile - they only time I've seen that was with book bloggers. It may be done in order to "weed out" self-published books that don't matter. In general, the publishing industry doesn't consider a self-published book that hasn't sold many copies as even to have existed. In other words if you self-published an sold 200 copies it's not worth mentioning in the query letter because it says nothing other than the fact that you can actually complete a book.

But that is not your situation - you have sold 10,000+ books and I would suspect that ANY agent would see value in that (although if they were all at $0.99 they may not). And any agent that didn't find that compelling is not worth representing you. If there is an agent that you REALLY want, and they do have such a statement I would make my query letter say somethink like,

"Based on your profile, you mentioned you don't accept self-published books, but as I have sold 10,000 copies (netting $xx,xxx) and another xx copies for the second book in the series, it demonstrates a fan base that with the right marketing and distribution could be easily extended.

As to finding agents and writing queries. Here is my suggestions:
* Query Tracker
* Preditors & Editors
* Agent Query
* Subscribe to Publisher’s Marketplace - to see who is making deals
* AAR (Association of Author Representatives
* "US Literary Agents

Annual Directories of Agents and Publishers
* 201x Writer's Market Deluxe Edition
* 201x Guide to Literary Agents
* Jeff Herman's Guide to Book Publishers, Editors, and Literary Agents 201x

Also...look at books that are similar to yours, and find the agents for those authors - they will normally be mentioned in the acknowledgements (Use Search inside the book - and type in "agent") or checkout the author's website as they may mention it there. You can also google the authors name & "agent" (or "represented") as the agent may have them listed as a client on their website, or there may be a press release that has both the agent and author posted online.

Last edited by MichaelSullivan; 07-27-2012 at 07:51 AM.
MichaelSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote