View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #7
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
E-ink screens are said to be magnetic.
If so, that would mean that any magnet could distort the image on the screen.
We know from a previous post I posted that the e-ink screen seems to be affected by sunlight.

So far I've quickly tested using a magnetic screwdriver,and a magnet from the fridge, but the screen does not seem to be affected by that.
At this moment I have no more powerful magnet than those, but if sunlight affects the e-ink, surely a weak magnet should too.

So far there's no evidence that the e-ink screen is magnetic.
I have more the sensation it is a TFT screen stripped of the RGB grid, and backlight.
The basic function of using a polarization filter and a Liquid when adding a voltage the liquid will be like 2 opposing polarization filters, darkening the screen.

This same principle is used in solar powered calculators, and some PDA's,only now there is a white plastic background.

On the other hand, no matter how I tile the screen, the black ink does not appear to be 'floating' above the white screen, as should be with polarization filters.

Makes me wonder, why, if the e-ink screen truly is magnetic, why it is not affected by standard magnets.
I could start experimenting with more powerful speaker magnets,or Neodymium magnets soon,to see if the same applies here.
I have been using Neodymium magnets next to my Kindle screen for some months. They have had absolutely NO effect at all.

You may have a different result, but that's what my experience has been. I have four 1/2 inch by 1/8th inch Neodymium magnets right up close and personal. Hasn't done anything to the screen, or to the memory.

Again .... that is my experience.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote