View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 03:25 PM   #20
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
That doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I am pretty sure I have read about consumer protection laws that do not allow you to sell something as new if it has been in a customers hands. I just can't find a reference to them right now.

BOb
Nope .... I haven't. It's not my field of law ... so maybe they're out there somewhere, but you'd have to give me a citation to prove it to me.

I'll give you an example of why such a law would have to be very specific. You walk into a store, you try on an article of clothing. You decide you will not buy it .... it goes back on the rack for someone else to try on. A single outfit might be worn by 100 customers ... and still sold as new.

Now ... if by the word "something" you mean only somethings that are sold in boxes, the store may (or may not) decide to offer an "open box" discount. Those that do offer an open box discount (usually about 10%) are often the stores that charge the person returning the item about 15% as a "restocking fee." So, those stores do not lose a penny in offering an open box discount.

However, as long as the store (and/or the manufacturer) provides a standard warranty from the date of purchase .... as far as I know, there is nothing wrong with them selling an item after adequate inspection.

However .... if you want to take the time to give me a legal citation, preferably one from the US Federal Codes, I would love to see it.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote