View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 09:56 PM   #24
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by |2eason View Post
You could even go further and just have immovable windows with a maximum of four, one in each screen segment. Even that would provide enough scope for file manipulation.

Ultimately, the important thing is to give the user access to large, remote libraries via the internet or LAN without the need for an intermediate PC or snickernet. If that can be done with an intuitive non-standard interface, then I'd be happy with that.
We used to do quite a lot with the Model 33 teletype as an interface. I think you are correct in saying that a usable interface can be devised. We can adapt the software to the slow screen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by |2eason View Post
You might disagree (in fact I expect flames) . . .
It is good to hear your ideas. Many have expressed similar sentiments in the past. We all have a wish list. I hope the designers are lurking here. This is the place to stand up for innovation. Where else can we do it?

My daughter got a new Sony CZ370P/C yesterday. It is amazingly light. It feels like a hardcover book. I can imagine reading with it for long periods. Now we will have the Asus EEE for a really cheap reader -- and lightweight too!

We are on the cusp of a convergence. Soon we will have light fast devices that can do everything we need and can be toted in a book bag. They will combine most of the features described in this thread, and more. We probably won't call them eReaders because the new technology will offer all of the functionality of today's readers, plus the ability to access the internet, remote file systems, and more. And we will see our PDFs in full-page color.

Someday we will look at our Sony Reader and think, "Just for reading? How quaint!"
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote