Thread: Physical eBooks
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 01:32 PM   #25
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
The trend is for physical media to go away in every content area, to be replaced with pervasive Internet connections and cloud storage. Music gets download. Movies get streamed. I just don't see e-books bucking that trend, unless someone comes up with an e-book reading device cheap enough to be a one-shot, single-title device that sells for less than $15 (content and all) and still makes a profit.
Absolutely right. I think that over the next several (10 maybe) years, as eBooks become more popular, we'll see a lot more of the brick and mortar stores closing. Everything mentioned here would be their last, desperate grasp at retaining a customer base. Eventually they will be small stores, catering to a very select client base.

The only time I go in one now is when I'm killing time at the mall while my wife is in a different store