View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #406
ijdod
ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ijdod ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
As for the Memory of the Glo it truly can hold over 1000 books and much more if you use an SD card. Now there are things to keep in mind when using the external memory to store books, even I who don't use that memory, have heard about that. But I bet Bookripper must have crammed unceremoniously a whole bunch of poorly formatted, css flawed rips and mixed them with books in the internal memory, thus creating issues.
Bookripper has a valid point there, so I'm not sure why he's taking so much flak for it, even before the argument got out of control. For any sizable collection of books the normal author and title lists are going to be virtually useless for reasonably quick access (my list is already 78 pages long with small icons). The other option, shelves, work fairly well, unless you really start adding them... which you will to be able to work with any sizeable collection. My glo barely handles a shelf per author as it is. If I add series as shelves as well (for a 130 or so total shelves), I'm looking at 6-10 seconds of waiting anytime the shelves list is opened. So while the Kobo can technically hold many thousands of books, it can't practically deal with them with the tools supplied.

I fully realise that at some point any device will run into the problem of the lists getting too long for easy navigation, even with directory structures, but that point should not be on the horizon even when using the internal memory. From that perspective, a directory listing would be easy to implement, and very fast in use. It doesn't need to process a database at all. It can function nicely alongside the other browsing options, nobody I'm aware of is suggesting replacing one for the other.

One new issue I ran into was a tap on the screen fails, then the next tap(s) turns the page(s) backwards. Can't realiable reproduce it, but it seems to mainly happen when I'm reading on the train.

Last edited by ijdod; 10-28-2012 at 07:00 PM.
ijdod is offline   Reply With Quote