View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #14
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Apparently it doesn't happen that often, because if the publisher paid a sizable advance, they would get a script doctor in to get the manuscript in a publishable condition. Here was one high-profile case where it did happen: Emma McLaughlin and Nicola Kraus, authors of the Nanny Diaries, had a contract and advance with Random House and when they received the manuscript, Random House said no.

http://observer.com/2004/02/why-naug...-random-house/

I don't know what happened to any part of the advance that was paid out, but I never heard of a lawsuit, so I'm guessing they wrote it off. These two authors did go on to publish more books, but not with Random House.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote