Thread: Buy or wait
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2008, 10:03 PM   #13
timezone
Addict
timezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheesetimezone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Windows Phone7, Kindle Fire
I vote to buy

Well, I took the plunge the other day. It hasn't arrived yet. I should get the Iliad by Monday the latest. I spent probably over 100 hours reading everything about all of them. Including reading everything I could on this fantastic site. My head was spinning by the time I decided on the Iliad.

A couple of things to consider and I believe a reason for not waiting. This is clearly an advanced reader over all of them. For sure it isn't perfect and there are things about the Kindle, Cybook, etc that I wish were on the Iliad. It also appears the software could be more stable. This being a highly advanced reader how much better will the new readers really be to the Iliad? The Astak looks great but what can we say about it today? It has the equivalent features of the Iliad but we don't know if the software measures up. We don't even know if it will have folders. A new Iliad may have better battery and page turning performance but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes even another iteration before there is a real jump in features. It is always nice to have the latest and greatest but will the next version of any of the readers really be that much better than the Iliad today? Jumping in now means you can start learning how to use the device and the software. Of course the buy/hold issue is always present whether deciding to purchase an eReader, PC or pocketPC, etc. My problem was after reading so much I wanted to jump in. I couldn't hold back. One other thought, I also see this as a great productivity tool for work. Even though the money is from our pockets one can't put a price on how it can help at work.
timezone is offline   Reply With Quote