View Single Post
Old 04-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #45
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
I use another smaller phone for calls as the Note only let me have one ringtone and the sound quality on calls was appalling most of the time - unintelligible in fact.
I am not sure what you mean by "only let me have one ringtone". I have a Note and I can have as many ringtones as I wish. In fact now I have one "general purpose" tone, and a separate tone for each member of my family. What's more, you can use any mp3 file as a ringtone, so you use practically any sound file, as long as you know how to connect the phone to your PC and transfer the mp3 to a directory on the Note.

Also, sound quality in my case leaves nothing to be desired, but sound quality always depends on two factors: the phone itself and the mobile network. Some mobile networks may push sound compression to the limits and with some phones this may result in unintelligible voice quality. I am not an expert in GSM technology, but I have been using it long enough to notice how different can the same phone sound in different conditions (eg. weak signal, overcrowded network, signal in places prone to interferences). From what I have read it seems that CDMA technology has its own problems with sound quality, but these are mostly related to the distance from the transmitter.

All in all, I have chosen Galaxy Note purposefully so that I won't have to carry two devices, as it can serve both as a phone and tablet (and car navigation and e-reader, and many more) and for me it works as expected.
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote