View Single Post
Old 06-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
I put the buttons at the top across the device. This would let the back of your hand lie under the body of the reader and allow your thumb to rest naturally across the top.
I can't picture this. If the back of my hand is under the reader, my thumb and fingers curve away from the reader, so I'm not holding it at all. If the unit lies on my upward-facing palm, my fingers can curl over the top edge, but my thumb would need a button on the edge.

I agree that the eb1150 is probably the best ergonomics. It's made so you can hold it with your fingertips and the base of you fingers, no thumb required. You can even hold it up above your head as a light (which isn't applicable to most e-ink units, but could be useful with a 3Qi one). The battery bulge could be addressed by having a rubberized plastic bulge that one could snap/screw on or remove, as desired. Or a piece that folds out to make a gripping ridge.

If the screen rotates, it works for both left- and right-handed users. On buttons, I like the two big ones. Equal size, too, since some might like to reverse functions. I might add some small ones on that single overwide bezel, too. Say a sequence of 1 ABCD 2 EFGH 3 down the side, where the letters are the big page-forward and page-back buttons, and the numbers smaller buttons. Labels should be icons that make sense from any direction.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote