View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 04:59 AM   #15
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam228 View Post
Once again. Thanks for the Calibre tip but I am not a newbie. I am using it since I have my Kindle but it doesn't work.
So far I have managed to convert microsoft .lit free bilingual dictionaries to .prc using "ABC Amber LIT Converter" followed by mobipocket converter. But in the end it turn outs to be only a mobipocket file without any dictionary functionality in Kindle DX.

I will write to Kovid now. But if anyone comes up with a solution please do follow up here. At some pages I have read some people claiming that they have successfully managed to add a bilingual dictionary to kindle. But I have yet to see anyone writing a step by step method to do it.
It sound as if what you really want advice about is not how to install a dictionary on the Kindle, but how to build a Kindle compatible dictionary. As mgmueller said (underscore mine):
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Any standard Mobipocket dictionary will do. You may have to strip it from DRM (copy protection), which is an easy procedure. Then you simply add it to Kindle and define it as the (new) standard dictionary. No modification needed, no "hacking" necessary. ...
As far as I know, you are not able to just convert any dictionary in a different file format and then have a working mobipocket dictionary. It need to be marked up correctly to function as a dictionary. As you saw, the one you converted didn't work. I remember someone building a working dictionary in Romanian - yes, the thread is here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58484 You could try to contact LucasCorso. I don't know more than this about the structure of dictionaries, so I'm afraid it won't help to ask me

Adding a bilingual dictionary on the Kindle is as easy as installing a new default dictionary, but you need a dictionary that is working correctly. EDIT, added: The procedure of how to install a default dictionary on the Kindle is described in the Kindle manual.

Last edited by Ea; 03-14-2010 at 05:07 AM.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote