View Single Post
Old 11-12-2011, 01:40 AM   #7
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinhi/ View Post
There has been some speculation that households once they own their first device are buying additional devices. Certainly I wouldn't expect gameboy type devices to remain popular when a media tablet can provide games, movies, music, books, web surfing and email in one device. Those kid restriction apps are going to sell like crazy.
I think that there is a sense in which one's first e-reader is experimental, and after the experiment proves successful, it is expanded. (Of necessity, if for no other reason).

I think that more serious portable gaming devices will continue to remain popular for now. While there's some overlap between tablets/smartphones and portable gaming devices, there's not really that much. I.e., the types of people who play the relatively simple games on their phones may never have been in the market for one of the Sony or Nintendo portable game devices...so these companies aren't really hurt by the massive expansion of these kind of games.

I'm not the target market for the portable devices, either - but without the absence of physical controls for tablets/phones, etc., their gaming potential is limited.

However, if Android or iOS came out with a standard controller system that you could use with the devices (standard so that it would work with all games that wanted to use it), I think the writing would be on the wall for the dedicated portable game devices.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote