Thread: MobileRead July 2013 Book Club Vote
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #41
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmilica View Post
I have read Sleepwalkers, the first few chapters, unfortunately. As many of the new treatments of historical incidents books which are recently appearing in order to cash on 100 year anniversary of the Great War + to celebrate "newly found" (though as events are going, not a long lasting) love in Europe and adoration of Germany, it twists facts...Also, the new so called historical treatment includes defining people fighting against colonisers as terrorists.
In the rewriting process, I would not be surprised to see in a few year somebody finding similarities between Mahatma Gandhi with the villain Osama. And all along the Austro-Hungarian Empire, Prussia, Britain and the rest were oh so naive, wishing all the best for the colonies and nothing for themselves...
Yes, one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist. I must admit, I never thought they were sleepwalking into war, but, in the case of Britain and Germany at least, were spoiling for it over many years. So I was interested in this book to get a different perspective, but I don't like the sound of it from your comments, jmilica. I still find the logic (if that's the right word) of why they all went to war with each other incomprehensible.

I won't take part in reading ANTR if it wins, but will read one or more of the other nominations, probably starting with the Gourevitch because I think that is the most important one, though also the most harrowing.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote