View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #28
DeadMan
Enthusiast
DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Aura One
OK well, I have extracted the Prestigio firmware, and started to compair files. Most are identical, but of course there are a few that are differant. The BMP0.BIN contains many more images, due to the extra features like video playback icons, file format icons, stuff like that. I have only tried swapping out a few of the files in SYSTEM folder, but it always overwrites them with the original file - and deletes anything extra I stick into sub folders. In the root it leaves extra files alone. Larger images in the Nextbook files are 800x600; The Prestigio contains 800x480 images (ie. start up images)

It contains a few games, and a a couple other utils.

I may just start simple and change the boot up image to see if it will let me get away with that for now before going to nuts.

I was going to swap out the entire contents with the Prestigio firmware into both SYSTEM directories on the device, but have chickened out for now. Called the store I bought it from and they have run out of stock... go figure right before xmas

I do suspect that it will just overwrite anything I copy into the main folders with what it has stored in memory.

Still trying to figure out how it checks for a firmware on the SD card. I will start rebuilding the firmware img file with files from both devices and see where I get. Might be the RKxxIMG.CHK files... Before it lets me change anything, I believe it will have to be a complete firmware change.

Will keep anyone interested posted as I play around. I may have to hit one of the folks up that bought the Slick for a copy of the system files from that device as well since it is 800x600 as well.
DeadMan is offline   Reply With Quote