View Single Post
Old 05-31-2014, 09:56 AM   #8
RbnJrg
Wizard
RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RbnJrg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by weberr View Post
I am trying to learn everything I can about coding tables for epub. I have read every tutorial and forum I can find, but can't find anything other than obvious basics. I need to have a table that changes its width in accordance with the fonts and page widths being used in an epub eReader, and the columns maintain the same relative width dependent on the width of the table. Seems like a basic task, but nothing I can figure to do actually works: for me, the obvious solution is to work in percents, set table width at 100% and each column to a fraction of 100% so that the total for all columns add up to 100% -- but that doesn't work. The result seems almost random -- some smaller columns, some larger columns, and left-over table space.

I would appreciate any ideas on how to do what I want -- surely it is something that many of you know how to do.

BTW -- wouldn't it be something to have a WYSIWYG table generator in Sigil where you simply drag the column lines and table border to what you want and let Sigil generate the code? Could even include setting background and font colors of cells, columns, rows...

RW
You would need to know how to style a table with css. What you want is a no problem task; it's easy to do with css. Read this article:

http://www.w3.org/wiki/Styling_tables

Pay attention the subjects about tables/column width. Also, take in count that some properties are not applicables (so far) regarding ereader devices. But you can use anything related to table/columns width, paddings, borders, colors, etc. (no javascript and some css3 properties although some ereaders -iPad, modern Kindles- can accept them).

Regards
Rubén
RbnJrg is offline   Reply With Quote