View Single Post
Old 08-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #59
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You make a good case, and I agree with you, with some provisos
  1. There must not be readily available second-hand copies. e.g. if second hand copies either can't be found, or are going for more than full retail of a new hardback.
  2. You express your interest in a new print run/edition to the author or publisher.
  3. If the books becomes available again due to a new print run or edition, you buy a copy.
On point one, I think that the question of second hand availablity doesn't make any difference. I mean, where's the ethical obligation to buy a second hand book? It doesn't benefit the author/publisher in any significant way that I can see. Seems to me to be just like making a copy.

On point two, I think that would be useful feedback, but it appears to me that it would take much more effort than it is worth. I expect it would make the author feel better, though, so it would be a nice thing to do.

On point three, I think that the ethical obligation is to buy it rather than copy it, if it is available for purchase when you want it or need it. But if the author/publisher has not made it available at that point, I see no ethical need to reward them when they change their mind. You might want to do that as practical encouragement, though!
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote