View Single Post
Old 01-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #41
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Simplification is not always all it is cracked up to be. I had the misfortune to tangle with Sony's Reader for PC. In its simplification it automatically does sync which I do not want and put files on my reader that were not even books, just chucks of CSS.

I generally work directly from html through sigil since I am a Sony Reader guy. But a day or two ago, I had the need of calibre and it was not hard to use. Load file into calibre, convert book, save to file (I don't need the library function.) Not hard at all.

It is difficult to automate what is not standard and much book source material is not standard, nor is there a consensus about even how a book should look (I am not a fan of indents nor care about pretty quotes or dashes.) So how do you automate matters of taste?

Some of the comments seem to center on Calibre's interface, some of which is dictated by its Swiss Army Knife nature. You can do anything with it, but there is always complication in how you access any given feature. Again no consensus, as many use Word but I prefer WordPerfect as its interface, for me, is easier to use. I grumble when forced to Word, that there seems the right way the wrong way and the Microsoft way.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote