View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 06:32 AM   #9
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
It would be nice if the Kindle supported .epub, but even if it did, it still wouldn't be .epub with DRM. Since you can convert any non-DRM'd .epub very easily, it doesn't really make much of a practical difference.
+1 I totally agree with that. Lack of support for non-DRM epub is a moot point, plenty of really good conversion tools exist for converting to mobi (and allowing for slight tweaks to suit you).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
The thing with native ePub support (even without DRM) is that it would be a great boon for those of us that mostly read non-DRMed/non-Amazon stuff.

While I suspect the number of stores that sell non-DRM books is shrinking, in the past week I've bought books from Baen and Fictionwise. In all three cases, the mobi/PRC files were atrociously formatted.

So I had to download the epub and convert to mobi and then put on my Kindle to see what they look like. Then load them in Sigil, tweak and convert. Repeat several times before I got it right.
Wouldn't just downloading the non-DRM mobi and reconvert through Calibre be a better option? I have had to do it with my Baen books, and I found going from mobi/prc to mobi was better than epub to mobi. Consequently I download both epub and mobi/prc and reformat both for each of my ereader.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote